How to support and inspire your Mentee
You’ve been booked for a Mentor Hour! Congrats! Now’s the time to share your knowledge and experience.
Lots of Mentees are looking for support, guidance and your unique perspective. There is no pressure to provide all the answers or give direct advice. What's most valuable to our members is sharing your insights, ideas and support. Everyone has a unique and valuable perspective, so please don’t let that inner critic rear its ugly head.
We find it’s helpful to ask Mentees the following types of questions to gently steer the conversation in the right direction.
Questions to ask your Mentee
- I'd love to hear about your current job / business
- Is there anything specific you'd like to ask about my experience?
- What would you like to achieve this year?
- How was COVID for you?
- What challenges have you encountered?
- How did X make you feel?
- What have you tried so far?
Useful things to share
Instead of saying "Do this / Do that", try...
- In my experience, X worked well because...
- If I were you, I’d might try doing X
- A similar thing happened to me…
- I know someone in X industry who might be able to help
- Here are some recommended Mentors in She Mentors who I know can help with that
- My favourite resource / book / podcast on this topic is X
- We all go through difficult times, you’re not alone
What to say if you can’t help
- Hmm, not sure. Let’s find out together (queue Google!)
- Great question, let me come back to you on that one after the session
- That’s not my area of expertise, let’s contact admin@shementors and ask them to recommend someone for you
- Let’s ask the Facebook Group brains trust what they's suggest!
Remember, if you receive the Mentor Booking and genuinely feel you’re not a good match, we have recently introduced a ‘Politely Decline’ notification which ‘refunds’ all Mentor Hours back and alerts us over at admin. If you do decline, please review your Skills & Experience and make sure they are up-to-date.
You can also ‘Cancel’ a booking by visiting Profile - Requests - Cancel. Please note, we ask you to only use this function when absolutely necessary. Our community is built on trust so we ask you to read our Community Code Of Conduct and try to commit to your Mentor Hours where possible.
A few things to remember
Snap a pic of your Mentor Hour!
Take a selfie or screen shot of your Zoom call (command + shift + 4 on Mac) and share into our private Facebook group for your chance to book win a free month’s membership! We pick a winner at the end of each month, so be descriptive and tell us what you learned in and loved about the session.
Build that relationship
Connect with your Mentee on LinkedIn and other social media platforms, and show your support. Send them a follow up email and make sure you stay in touch.
Now it's your turn to gain knowledge from someone else! Book your Mentor Hour and connect with someone interesting!
All Mentor Hours reset on first of each month! Want an extra Mentor Hour credit? Upgrade to VIP enjoy 2 bookings each month.